Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Reid's colours

the painted man by lovelydesign
I realised with a start the other day that my baby Reid has somehow turned into a full-fledged toddler (!) and I need to get it together already and change the way I've been thinking of him and treating him. He is normally an exceptionally laid-back and independent little fellow who is great at keeping himself busy. It had become my habit to focus more on doing projects with his older sister Addie, and I am somewhat ashamed to write that I often just kind of keep Reid on the back-burner. He is now sixteen months old, and it pains me that I feel like I still haven't fine-tuned the art of parenting (up to my own expectations) both him and Addie at the same time. One day, I hope somehow to get there.

After writing the other day - and taking long looks at the photo with his big huge tears... I realised that it is actually me that needs to adapt to things. It is me who needs to help Reid, by giving him lots of ways to discover all of the things he can do... rather then knowing all too well so many things he can't.

So I've set out this week to set up simple little projects and areas in and around our house that are ready for Reid to explore and discover. I am attempting to stretch my brain back to rethink a lot of things that are so simple and mundane to me, but can be fascinating adventures to a little 1 year old.



Project no.1073 = paints and the mixing of colours! What seems so trivial to me was absolutely amazing to Reid! I only dragged out and cleaned one of Addie's crusty old watercolour trays by running it under warm water - and then I let him go at it. I gave him a small brush and a medium brush, and poured a teaspoon or two of water into a few circles of colour at a time. Actually, initially I gave him paper to make marks on, too - but I found that he just tossed the paper aside and focused on mixing colours up. What fun!

Reid sat mixing with his paints for over 45 minutes, utterly enchanted. I couldn't even break through to him he was so focused on his work. He was completely satisfied by his endeavor... and he didn't even eat the paint!



I love these photographs that I caught of him, in this moment. And the results of his mixed up paint set.... To me, Reid's colours are just beautiful.

23 comments:

Bego said...

and lovely colours they are indeed!
how much motherly love i can read in this post. you're absolutely right about resetting our adult brain on to children mode. how easy it is to forget first times and how fascinating to see them in children!

.....Elizabeth..... Polka Dot Skies said...

I LOVE this! I was an art teacher before my children were born. What a wonderful moment for him!Thanks for sharing it with us!
Elizabeth

Megan said...

I love this. I need to remember it too. My little man is 6 months old and he gets WAAAAY less attention than Paige ever did. I only realized the other day that he can actually manipulate toys now. Oops. LOL!

Joan said...

What a lovely post about Reid and his color mixing. A real adventure for a toddler. He'll soon be treating you with lovely pix to make your heart swell. Adorable little boy.

mandy said...

I'm a new mom and after having a long day with an over-tired three month old this post has brought me to tears. He looks so enraptured and sublime, I hope I can help my daughter find that place. Thanks for the happy tears!

April said...

My son just turned one. I love making art but I never know how to make art with him, or give him his own projects.

Since you're on a "quest" to come up with more projects for your son, do you mind posting about those here? I need help figuring out what is age appropriate and fun for *him,* versus just fun for me.

I love how much your daughter loves and needs her "work." I want my son to love art, too. How do I nurture that? My parents were not artistic so I'm not sure how to go about it.

sacha said...

This is a perfect post! I love that you are such a thoughtful parent- critical of yourself yes, but in a pro-active way. What lucky lucky children and mama!!

christine / darling studio said...

Oh, Sharilyn. I totally get it. I hear you, and I applaud you, and I thank you for sharing! My little lady is just 1 year old. With her much more demanding and boisterous big brother marching around, she often gets lost in the shuffle. I am trying too. Cheers to you and being the best mamas we can be. xo

Natalie's Kitchen Secrets said...

I remember being the same with my second son jasper, now as he is 3 and his older brother is 4 i can manage both og the at the same time, tough though xx

diätplan said...

very good post

t said...

Beautiful...love that first photo in your post.

Valeria said...

how funny, just today a gave a go to a project for my both childs at the same time. I always feel a bit too nervous to manage them two at the same time. What we tried worked beautifully, it was painting with condensed milk and food coloring. My little boy was so delighted eating the paint... but he did paint and mix colors too.. He looked a bit gore in the end, red was his favourite, and the big one enjoyed the bright colours and watching his brother eating paint

ernährungsplan said...

very good comment

Miek said...

Hi!
That is such a great idea! Rather then keeping 'messy' things away from them, give it to them! I'll definitely remember this for when my daughter reaches that age!
Love, Miek

John Hahae said...

Manuel Neuer

This is very nice love this main!

2 bedroom house plans said...

Kids are absolutely amazed on colors. Like on this kind of age, they are more aware.

Qaseh Gifts said...

i love the pictures and he is super adorable!

Sheila@Chinaberry said...

You really did capture Reid so enchanted that it just took me back to when my boys were that age. Lovely photos and here's hoping you can give yourself a little pat on the back for this.

Stephanie said...

Sharilyn I know exactly what you are talking about! I have an 18 month old girl and a 3 year old boy. I am so use to running and rolling that I forget she may like to sit still and create. Would you mind sharing the type of watercolors you use?

New Punjabi Movies said...

nice baby photo i like it

molly said...

i just adore this, the perspective, the awareness, the seeing things with new eyes.

good for you, for finding this little window of delight. and good for reid, for all the fun in discovery!

Travel Universally said...

very unique post.
I like it very much

United-21 Hyderabad said...

what a wonderful post it is!

i like the kids and the beauty of colors.