Wednesday, December 15, 2010

baking up christmas

Because of my diet (gluten, dairy free) I don't ordinarily do a lot of baking, but somehow last week I discovered that my daughter Adelaide is a very happy baker. And so, together we spent a few days baking up a storm!

We made batches of chocolate peppermint cookies (a recipe I found in an old Martha issue), cranberry shortbread (which is my favourite - an old family recipe which I love to add sundried cranberries to), glazed lemon cookies (a recipe I found through Sally Shim's blog ages ago and have been meaning to try), and classic gingerbread, too (recipe from Martha as well). While I didn't sample too much, I hear back from many eaters that all these recipes are very nice and very yummy!

Then Adelaide and I sorted and packed up a dozen cookie samplers to give and mail away as gifts. We used crisp new white tea towels for lining and arranged them carefully in pretty bowls and willow baskets. I designed up a gift tag using Adobe Illustrator, and printed them out onto a sheet of heavy Strathmore acrylic linen canvas paper. I also printed out a photograph which I shot after baking a batch of cookies - Addie pausing in the middle of happily licking the wooden spoon - and included it along with the tag, tied with a pretty ribbon around our bowls and baskets.

Just last night we drove all around town, Charles, Addie, and I, singing along to cheesy christmas carols on the radio, surprising our best friends and dropping off our homemade cookie gift baskets to them. It was such a sweet and lovely evening, and I feel happy to have shared it with those whom we love the most.

30 comments:

Abby said...

She is just precious!

Megan said...

Love this! I love that you sang and drove around town delivering goodies. That's the Christmas spirit!

Rose said...

What a big girl she is getting to be! Some of my fondest memories are of baking with my mother.

Lori said...

So sweet!

Georgine said...

If you don't mind the question, what type of printer do you use that prints a heavy paper? And, I love how you packaged the cookies!

Rachel said...

What an adorable little baker :) Sounds like a fun night!

rahel said...

You were really two busy bees! That just looks great and I can see how happy Adelaide was about all the baking.
Have a nice time.

Amanda said...

What a lovely idea - and the description of you all driving around with carols playing sounded perfect!

Frau Haselmayer said...

The cutest baker ever!

Jennifer said...

what a lovely evening - sounds heavenly!

Ali Rockwell said...

This is amazing :) She is so incredibly cute!!!!!!

Monica said...

What a great way to prepare for the holidays! Love the wrapping as well.

hasenschneck said...

This is a great idea. Adelaide looks very happy with her achievement.

My children always gave baked things to the family as presents when they were small. It's so good for them to put some time into thinking about making things for others and it's relatively inexpensive.

One year when I was living abroad, I didn't have time to do any Christmas shopping, so when I got home a couple of days before Christmas, I made lots of little chocolate cakes in muffin tins filled and iced them and gave those as gifts. Everyone was delighted!

silentai. said...

shes so adorable!!
& baking is so fun with the kiddies!


www.etsy.com/shop/kokoroHI !! (:

May said...

I love seeing kids bake. I used to bake ginger bread cookies with my little brother during Christmas times. Cookie baskets make such nice gifts!

Jo said...

Everything you produce looks so beautiful! I wish I lived in your neighbourhood :)

We've been into the toddler baking for a while here (just blogged about it today, actually), and it really is such a great activity for them - I'm sure you'll always have willing cookie recipients!

Rebecca Beagle said...

Aw, it will be fun next year when my toddler is old enough to help with the holiday baking.

Your tags are so pretty and I've made those lemon cookies before- yum!

Chelsea said...

you little baker...she looks even sweeter than the treats! +Chelsea

valkuan said...

For a moment I thought that package is for me because I am Guan too!! haha. I hope your pregnancy is going well. Addie is very sweet and cute! Do you share your family cranberry shortbread recipe? I love love shortbread but so fearful of it because I have to cut the butter.

ricebabies said...

I smile every time I see your blog, your little one is just the sweetest. We are doing our baking tomorrow. yuym.

Steph at Modern Parents Messy Kids said...

So sweet - I'm not much of a baker either but I make an effort because my little guy loves it and we get in some serious quality time when I do bake. Also I love making my mother-in-laws wine cake and bringing it to friends over the holidays.

sew nancy said...

So sweet. I love the photos and that you had that special night together.

---i thought you might like to know that i used some of the paper scraps you sent me awhile ago to cover these papier-mache balls. You can see them here http://sewnancy.blogspot.com/2010/12/paper-scrap-papier-mache-balls.html

Delta456 said...

Very fun and beautiful results. Happy to hear from you - hoping you are well and wishing you peaceful holidays! Addie is adorable. Fun to see her growing up. You are one talented gal! D.

studioto said...

lovely post, wonderful blog, keep fowwing you

Jaime said...

What a beautiful idea. I bet Addie enjoyed sampling while baking us a storm! All the best a brightest of the season to your family.

marikobrown said...

Lovely idea.
Addie looks so proud.
Look at these tiny fingers
doing their best!
Adorable...

Stephanie said...

Lovely! We don't bake with gluten or dairy around here, either. If you can eat peanut butter you can bake delicious flourless peanut butter cookies- they are our go to recipe for sweet treats!

sunny said...

Beautiful baskets!

And Addie is the most gorgeous little girl. So precious!

custom hoodie printing said...

what is that true that kid really fo baking? so cute!

theeclecticlife said...

Could Addie be more darling? I think not! Adore your designs, your work with your daughter and your beautiful photos!