Tuesday, November 23, 2010

overflow

This morning I woke up with another idea for a little quilt in my head, and I've been itching to sew all day since. It is these times I get the notion in my head - "If I really get down to it, I can sew the entire quilt in one day - Addie can help!!!" Yeah, right! Usually I am so busy with everything else life brings that I never even begin. At least today we did some drawings of the idea, and even this feels like an accomplishment!

My head has been full of so many ideas lately, there are so many projects which I want to create. But I am beginning to become a little frustrated with it all. So many ideas, so little time to actually make them. Scrap papers with notes and drawings are littered all over my nightstand and workroom, with little to no movement on them. I feel like my brain is starting to overflow.

So I am planning on closing down my online stop in the coming week. Not that I have much to sell these days, but orders have been coming in a brisk steady flow, and any spare time I have is spent fulfilling orders. This is beginning to frustrate me, and I am growing more certain that I am not up for a Christmas rush this year. I am longing to have even just a little bit of time to work on some of the ideas whirring around in my head. If only I could get them out into reality!

14 comments:

Rose said...

Oh don't I hear you. I do not have the time to make like I used to. With two very active kids under my feet all day, it's impossible. But I'm sure you feel the same way, that it's so important to be available in these early years. Good for you for setting your own limits on what you can/want to do this holiday season. I have done the same and it is so liberating.

Rosa said...

Good for you letting yourself take a break! I'm a designer, with two kids, and balance is so hard when ideas are floating around just waiting for a moment!

Johanna said...

Hi Sharilyn,
I've been following your blog for a while now and wanted to say a quick hello and let you know that I adore your blog!
I will be visiting Vancouver in a week (coming in from the Yukon) and was wondering if you could give me some quick suggestions of places to shop/eat ect.
We LOVE Asian food and I am a crafty mama. I'd love to find a good quality toy store, as well as a paper store...any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Islay said...

I can't wait to see that quilt as it develops!

And I completely know where you're coming from with the crafting/mothering thing - it's so hard to find a balance sometimes.

wide-eyed said...

I know the problem with a head full of ideas and far too less time and concentration to make peacefully one after the other :)

marikobrown said...

Too many ideas, too little time.
Same here.
This is your life. You prioritize your tasks. I think it's a great decision! Have a wonderful holiday season with your family, Sharilyn!

julie said...

Will you be opening the shop back up after the holidays? I would like to purchase one of your address files and I'll do it now if you won't be opening your shop back up for the foreseeable future.

Thanks!

Himiko said...

When you wake up all the magic of sleep is still there and the constrictive nature of time and space hasn't sunk in yet. It's the moment when the best ideas can hit you. But it's also the moment when time management is a long way away. Life as we know it. Life as we love it.

Monica said...

I have just recently discovered your blog, and I think that your items are lovely. I can understand the feeling of too many ideas so little time, especially with a toddler in the house. You'll feel refreshed after a little break! Enjoy!

Lauren said...

Your post couldn't have come at a better time! Like you and many of your other followers I feel overwhelmed by all the ideas floating around in my head and such little time to actually put them into fruition. I was literally on the verge of tears today wondering why I am trying to run a small creative business while staying at home with my 2 1/2 year old. The answer is that we love it. As crazy, hectic and frustrating as it can be... we are so fortunate to be able to do what we do.

Thank you to you (and your fans) for reminding me that I am not alone and to take a break once in a while. The work will be there once we are refreshed. :)

Cheers to a happy (and stress-free) holiday season!

electronic cigarettes said...

Cute baby.Thank you to you (and your fans) for reminding me that I am not alone and to take a break once in a while. The work will be there once we are refreshed. :)

Holly said...

All those ideas with no where to go can be anxiety producing--I have a little book I jot down all my ideas for things to design/make, and another book where I can jot little doodles and sketches of those ideas...and this does help to know they are there waiting for me to get to them...but still--nothing beats actually making the thing you have in your head and then holding it in your hands.

Cannot wait to see what you emerge with!

wikas.com said...

so cute she is wow nice article
ummmmmaha :*
forex strategy | forex training

dell d630 battery said...

Well... round about every blog posts online don't have much originality as I found on yours.. Just keep updating much useful information so that reader like me would come back over and over again.