Monday, July 19, 2010

a house full of prints

Decemberists poster: www.heroandsound.com
wall paint: Gossamer Blue by Benjamin Moore

Probably the question we're asked most when we have visitors over is "where did you get this/ or all of your prints?" (and "what is the paint colour on your walls?") I've also been receiving a lot of inquiries by email on these things, and so I decided to gather all of this information up, both in photographs and sources - to have as as a reference for myself and to share with others. And so, the last couple of weeks I have been taking photographs - such as this one - when I get a moment (and the light is co-operating.)

I began collecting all sorts of frame-ables over a decade ago, when I was still a student at Emily Carr in Vancouver. I began to find all sorts of flat items which caught my eye or were made by friends: posters and prints, old maps, charts, vintage linens. My collection keeps growing slowly over time I don't think I will ever stop or be done framing and hanging. These posters and prints have become wonderful souvenirs from my life, and just looking at them can bring back all sorts of memories.

long ago, I had decided to begin to frame everything up in simple Ikea Ribba frames, all in black. These frames are affordably priced, come in a variety of sizes, and have always been readily available over the years.

If required, I always cut the mats myself by using just a super sharp new exacto blade. I don't worry about using a professional mat cutter to get that nice bevelled edge (because no one really notices it, and it doesn't really bother me to have straight-cut mats). Of course, you can also purchase a mat cutter online or at your local art shop - in fact I think I have one somewhere, but I just can't be bothered.

Other must-have tools for I use for cutting my own mats are a clear quilting ruler to measure (works amazing!) and largest possible self-healing cutting mat which is a fabulous investment and definitely worth picking up at Michael's when they have their 40% off coupons. And, I always measure twice, and cut once!

When framing, It is also very handy to keep things clean - as the frames may be full of static and attract all sorts of dirt. I keep a bottle of glass cleaner and a non-static glass cloth to wipe and wipe. And I check and re-check the front of the frame before pinching the frame all closed. Because there is always some wayward dirt that gets in there, somehow, which will need to be removed before you close it all up.


When we bought this home, every single wall in it was painted this horrid colour. It looks (and feels) very much like unfinished drywall, or 70's beige pantyhose, both of which can suck the life right out of you! I painted over most of the walls, but left this (the stairway and hall). But now I see that I really must paint it, too. White!

resources:
www.thesmallstakes.com
www.kozyndan.com/shop
www.cavallini.com
www.merchline.com/pushmepullyou
www.presentandcorrect.com

I picked up this wonderful poster on one of my visits to Copenhagen. It is a reprint of the original 1951 design by Viggo Vagnby. Luckily, you may also order it from anywhere in the world right here!

The lower poster, titled "Manhattan" by Jim Datz, is from threepotatofourshop.com

and, I believe the top (Broken Social Scene show poster) was once available from www.thesmallstakes.com

This happy print is by Wayne Pate, and I ordered it from his online shop here:goodshapedesign.com Perfect for a child's play area, as we have placed it in our home.

This original 1954 screen print is one of my most favourite things. I found it buried in a flea market in Copenhagen, and bought it for a good price because the side was torn. I simply cropped it a little bit when framing and so the tear can't be seen.

The wall colour here in our kitchen is Grand Teton While by Benjamin Moore.

Here above my partner Charles' desk is a poster which was designed by Charlie Harper, titled the "ATLANTIC BARRIER ISLANDS". It and posters of other locales by him are available for an excellent price here.

Alphabet poster - honeyandbloom.com

Blue Skies Above (bird poster) - www.merchline.com/pushmepullyou/

Anatomy of a Murder re-print: (Saul Bass) - LA Flea Market find

Original Antique bird lithographs, purchased inexpensively ($10 each?) on ebay here. I often wish that I had purchased many of them and filled up a whole wall!

resource: www.lovelydesign.com

Here are two posters which I researched, designed, and wrote myself. They are all about Beautiful Conifers of Canada (blue) and the Beautiful Broadleaves of Canada.

Originally when I created these prints, I had no idea that they would sell so well, but the response was wonderful, which makes both the designer and nerd in me very happy. If you happen to be interested in owning one or both, I have the last few dozen for sale in my online shop here.

Well, I still have many framed posters and prints to show, and so I will continue collecting them up and post them when I am able. If you have any questions or comments, please ask! I am hoping to be able to gather up and have all of this information available in one place.

52 comments:

Holly said...

A wonderfully inspiring resource! Thanks for spending the time to do this for your readers! I'm going to IKEA next week so I'll be sure to pick up some frames!

Downtown Girl said...

Your house is lovely and I love all the wall art you have! Very pretty.

Jill Turner said...

Thanks! I was wondering where you got your frames - I need some.

Anonymous said...

I recently discovered your lovely blog and was in the process of trying to find the right wall color. I tried Grand Teton White (as I happened to be debating it when I read that you used it) and I thought to myself that I simply had to trust your color judgment. Everything in your home is so very beautiful. Sure enough, it was perfect and now I love being in my living room. Thank you for sharing details from your sweet life.

Anissa

Fiona said...

Thankyou so much for putting this list together. I have for a long time admired the photos of your beautiful home and fantastic artwork. It's all so inspiring - thankyou!

mykatjim said...

thanks for sharing all this info! i wanted to let you know the link for the charley harper print doesn't work though.

Jules said...

I just love it. All of it.

p.s. Jill, one of the very first items sourced in the post are the frames. They are from IKEA.

Jenny said...

I just spent the last hour or so on Etsy, trying to find a new poster for a spot on my wall that I just can't quite figure out.. and then came to check on your blog and here's this fantastic resource all about posters!

Michael - Innkeeper said...

wow. all of your prints are just beautiful!

i swear i could spend thousands on beautiful prints.

excellent, excellent choices. i love the simple framing too!

Dawn said...

you're such a sweetheart for sharing all your sources with us! you do have the best posters too! hugs!

sara said...

oh wow...you collection is amazing...thanks for showing it off! tho i'm sorry you have a 'pantyhose wall' :)

Sophia said...

You have such a beautiful home and it's a real pleasure to see a bit more of it as well some lovely designs!
- Sophia.

Kim @ Living with Little People said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely collection. You have such a great eye for putting things together.

cindy said...

you have a beautiful collection!

Gül said...

Thank you, for this beautiful house-tour. Love all your posters, prints and the way you display them. My favorites are the vintage maps and your Cones& Leaves poster.

I don't have much framed around the house. Not big ones, anyway... But recently I had two maps framed at a shop: a vintage-looking World map -was folded away for long time- and Paris map which I used when visiting the city back in 2000. Didn't hang them up yet but its so lovely to see them around. My next framing work will be another long awaited big poster: Birds of Turkey, from the time I worked for nature conservation.

Do you ever consider to design your monthly patterns you did for the blog readers as posters? They all are so beautiful!

lauren said...

i absolutely love your collection of prints!! they really add that little something to help make a house a home.
i always think back to your bh&g feature whenever i need a little inspiration for my home! you have wonderful taste! :)
*

Ana Degenaar said...

This is amazing advice, thank you!

second storie said...

simply fabulous collection. Enviable, too!

k said...

I love this post! I, too, am a collector of prints and posters and have so many waiting to be framed (in ikea frames no less). Thank you for inspiring me to get moving on this project.

NOTyourrunofthemill.typepad.com said...

Original Charley Harper! You have go to be kidding! I love all his work.

Stephanie said...

I had to laugh when I saw this post because I was just wondering (from your last post) where you got your cool prints and how much I loved your wall color. I love the consistency of the black frames throughout the whole house too.

judy said...

you are such a sweetheart to not only share all of your photos and where you got them but also links! love your collection! thank you for sharing!

down2earthsmiles said...

I love the colours of your walls. What are the colours in your child's play area and the office (the pic with a daddy folder on the table)? By the way, I love your blog. Thanks for sharing with us!

jenny said...

gorgeous. thank you so much for sharing this part of your life. i love visiting your blog when i need some inspiration :)

Sarah said...

Oh, I just love Charley Harper! All of your things seem very influenced by him, and I am completely envious!

Linda said...

Great collection of prints! I Love how you
grouped + stacked them together throughout
your home. W o n d e r f u l.

may said...

i've always loved the posters/prints that you have in your house. now i'm trying to frame some stuff too, but i have no artistic skills at all. wish me luck.

missy said...

lovely!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing! I have always adored the color of your walls! I also love how you unify all the art in your home by using the same frame style. Brilliant!

I have to second down2earthsmiles...I'm also curious about the name of the colors you used for your beloved's office and your darling's play area.

Thanks again for having such a wonderful blog! I enjoy reading it so much!
<3 lowlow

rhymeswithfun said...

this was such a fun and really helpful post for those of us who wished our house was as cute as yours--thanks for the sneak peek into your happy home!

Talysa said...

I am in love with your blog and your designing style. Be still my heart!

I know you said your daughters room is a custom color but are the other blues in your house as well? I love the flow...would you mind sharing all the colors of each room?

Sometimes creating a flow between colors is the hardest part.

Thanks!

l o v e l y d e s i g n said...

HI Everyone, Thank you for your comments and questions!

Every blue wall in photographs of post is painted with the Gossamer Blue by Benjamin Moore. I didn't take the time to colour adjust any of the photographs, but the colours look different according to the light in that area. It's interesting to see how one colour can change according to the light, surroundings, time of day, so often it's good to try a sample before commiting to a whole paint job. I think the photograph that shows this colour best is the one with the Saul Bass and Alphabet poster. (Although we do love this colour - it is refreshing, relaxing, and neutral enough to go with everything. And looks great with our Pacific Northwest backdrop where we live)

In previous posts, my workroom/studio is painted in Yarmouth Blue by Benjamin Moore. I may love this colour most of all, it is a bit mellower than the living room colour. You can see it here: http://lovelydesign.blogspot.com/2009/10/my-studio.html

And, as shown in other posts, the wall paint colour of Adelaide's bedroom is a custom colour I had made up for my original studio years ago (I seem to remember bringing in an old map for them to match). I absolutely love the colour, to me it is perfect or Adelaide's room. You can find information on it here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lovelydays/1261640581/in/set-72157600712037401/

The room is pictured here: http://lovelydesign.blogspot.com/2010/07/in-little-girl-room.html

Yvette Claire said...

Thanks so much for sharing, especially the advice on keeping the glass clean. I'm currently framing artwork for my baby's room and I hate it when I've finally centered the artwork and put the backing on only to discover there's a piece of cardboard or hair or something floating about, trapped between the glass and the picture! So frustrating... definitely will keep a wiping cloth around while working.

Carolyn said...

Beautiful prints. I'm inspired to overhaul my walls.

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing resource! Thank you for posting this. I love the posters in Adelaide's room. Where did you find those?!

Amy said...

I just stumbled upon your blog today via SimpleMom, and am so glad I did! I love your sense of style and the artwork and colors of your home. So inspirational-- and thank you for being so generous to share your sources!

Audrey said...

Thank you SO much for sharing all of your great art resources. I love the way you curated as well!

Philippines properties said...

Lovely prints, very fit and perfect for your house. Love it.

Paula M

Ali said...

Totally inspiring.

moirae said...

My house is that weird beige too. 2/3 of the room. To make matters worse, the beige couch is in one of the rooms that isn't actually beige. So it ties it all together.....

Wish you could do a conifers of the US too or of North America. Probably same trees!

All your posters are beautiful

Clara said...

Love the Danish prints, thanks for sharing the resource. I could wait to my next trip to Denmark, but it is nice to have the option should I want them before that. The one with the duckies would be lovely in my daughter's bedroom.

Courtney said...

I'm so excited to have found your beautiful blog: I just spent some time going through your past posts and wow. To top it off, you have the best collection of prints I've ever seen in one home! I'm in love.

I can't wait to read more. It's exciting to find a fun blogger from BC!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I have a source question unrelated to prints. Where is your grey sofa from? I have seen it on your blog before and also saw it in the article that Better Homes and Gardens did on your place, but I couldn't find the source for your sofa in the back part of the magazine. I love it!

-Diane

hasenschneck said...

Firstly, thanks for sharing your sources and your inspiration. I love your taste in prints and am shamelessly following your suggestions for sources.

Secondly, I actually like the colour of the brownish walls you have and think they go rather well with your blue. Perhaps it's just my computer but they look like a great combination, and I'm no fan of beige, believe me.

Cheers!

Lindsey said...

Thank you for showing us all of your lovely prints. As an artist I feel obliged to hang only my own work, but feel conflicted and want to support other artists. I also admit I get a little sad when people often point to others' work and say with awe "Ooh, did you do this?" and I think, no, I did the ugly stuff.

hasenschneck said...

You've given me such a lot of inspiration that I thought I would try to return the favour. I found this print online, and immediately thought of you: http://helpyourshelf.co.uk/170-forest-poster-.html

I hope you like it.

Saskia (hasenschneck.wordpress.com)

Jessica said...

I purchased a set of your Leaves and Conifers of Canada prints last year and never got around to sending feedback. They are so lovely! Thank you!

tchris said...

Hello, I stumbled upon your site and in this post you mentioned the color of your lovely blue wall. Can you tell me what the color is of the wall with the Original Antique bird lithographs? I have been searching high and low for a similar color, but can never find one.

Thank you in advance.

PS, I love your site and your daughter is just adoreable. =)

Aloysius said...

sectional sofas toronto
kitchen chairs
crawl space insulation
online auto insurance rate
patio sets
exterior patio doors
patio sets
ged programs in nyc
area rugs toronto
hotel furniture outlet

Nick said...

chalet a louer quebec
It’s really great post. I would like to appreciate your work and would like to tell to my friends.

Andi Anderson said...

I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.
banner printing

Strake Davis said...

You definitely have a great idea as to what crawl space insulation in Seattle is like. I know that's a strange thing to say, but it's impressive!