Tuesday, June 15, 2010

simple and sweet

Last month my computer hard-drive blew out, and I found myself computer-less for a while. While I definitely was feeling major anxiety about it, I also felt an overwhelming sense of relief! It was really lovely to be able to grab some time for myself, rather then those precious few moments turning into computer time. I found myself able to work on projects which I haven't had time to work on in months. It felt as though life with no computer was a little simpler and sweeter.

Now that my computer is back, I've been trying to remember this. I've realised how much time I spend on this box and how I really, in so many ways, don't really need to be. So I am trying to pull away and resist the call of the computer.

Lately, Adelaide and I have been having lovely days together, keeping things simple and trying to compromise with the teasing weather. Both of us are craving warm sunny days - it is already mid June and we are still sleeping in flannels!

I am one of those people that can get down easily by grey weather, but I am trying to keep myself occupied with little projects and household re-organisations to keep myself moving and motivated. Tidying the bathroom cabinets. Moving furniture around. Re-organising the kitchen cupboards. Designing labels. Planning quilting projects. Somehow after years of living like a slob I have discovered that completing these little tasks can help me to keep my mind off the grey and give me a calm and happy sense of satisfaction.


But every once in a while, the sunshine will appear for even just a few moments, and Adelaide and I will get a chance to get out, or at least do some gardening together. Or play games in the sun. Or perhaps host a patio tea party, complete with kitties and catnip.



Our sweet cat Jack absolutely adores flowers and gardens and foliage (and sunshine) so much. He is happiest when the weather is fine and he can be out in our garden all day long. I love it when he comes inside with his fur smelling all sweetly of lavender and herbs.


The other day I brought home some boxes of plants for our garden, and I left one box empty among them for him to make a nest in. He was so pleased - check out the big smile on his face!

I hope that you too have a smile on your face, like our Jack. And enjoying some simple and sweet (and perhaps even sunny?) days as well!

21 comments:

The Sprinkle Lady said...

Love the pictures! Seattle is finally getting some sun too :)

Mãe da Rita said...

Here in Lisbon, the weather's being very tricky. Cold enough to keep us away from the beach but warm enough to let us spend our afternoons at the park.
Great days!

fish+cake said...

your girl and cat are absolutely SO adorable!!

Nikki said...

I swear to you we have the exact same cat! I need to find a picture for you. Her name is Moo though.

Nikki said...

Here she is...

http://gramychou-babychou.blogspot.com/2010/06/blog-post.html

littlepuffyclouds said...

I hope you get some warm days soon! ...we are cooking here in Austin, TX. And we've gone through much bug spray!! : )

Bruna M. said...

Lovely pictures, Jack looks so happy in this box!

Chris said...

Thank you for blogging- your posts and your photographs ALWAYS bring a smile on my face...hope you'll have lots of sunny days soon!
Best wishes from Berlin
chris-t.

Katie said...

Adelaide is SOOOO darling! Such a pretty little girl. I know how you feel about the computer time. I was just thinking to myself, "get OFF the computer!" Yet... here I am. Darn. Maybe I should break mine. ;)

whitney said...

i love that picture of your cat! it's so funny how cats know that empty boxes are for them.

may said...

those photos are so sweet!

arthouse said...

I love reading your blog, so inspirational! Oh and I love those little green minature funky plants, what are they called?

Ana Degenaar said...

Picnics and mom-daughter time, what else could be better?

flowerpress said...

You have the cutest cats!
And of course a very cute girl :-)

Holly said...

I swear Adelaide and your cat both have the same smile on their faces out there! :-) I heard a story on NPR a couple of years ago about a couple of people who chose to go unplugged for a month--no tv or computer for a month and they found their lives transformed as a result realizing, as it sounds like you did, that their lives were more peaceful and productive without both...

Amanda said...

The computer can be such a time-waster at times (as much as I'd be lost without it!). Such a cute photo of your cat :) Adelaide has such a gorgeous face x

Jessica Cole said...

Ahhh it's so lovely to see Adelaide grow up :) I think I might have to take my little one for picnic's in the sun with friends x

Danielle said...

Thanks for the lovely post! I, too, just realized that nesting and changing things up feels great. I got stuck in thinking certain rooms in the house were "done" and then just kept them the same for five years now. Tidying and rearranging has worked wonders!

Anonymous said...

Yesterday it went from clear and sunny to pouring down rain with thunder in about five minutes' time. It was noon.

I love that picture of Jack. My cat Loki is very similar in appearance and he, too, loves climbing into boxes. ^_^

xo,

Buttons

Ashley said...

Your hard drive blowing is kind of like when the television broke for Adelaide! :)
and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Kathy said...

Your website is truly a blessing to me. The loveliness in your crafts, pictures of homelife and business bring me such peace. Elliott and Jack are absolutely wonderful to see in your pictures. I have a cat that I enjoy watching as well. However, the moments you share with all of us related to your daughter are so filled with love. Thank you for sharing!