Saturday, March 06, 2010

collage collage

I've been meaning to share this special place with you all for some time now. Adelaide and I could spend all day here in this happy, inspiring, and cozy spot. It is actually the only place where Adelaide has taken a look around and announced "this is just like our house!" Yes, we fit right in.

This place I write of is Collage Collage, a children's workshop and store located our hometown of Vancouver. Our friend Erin Boniferro opened it up last year, and we love it! Collage Collage is such a perfect spot to visit with children because - in my experience - so many children's destinations tend to be just too much. Too much activity, too much stimulation, too much volume, too many stressed out parents and crazed kids! Collage Collage is like an oasis to me in that it is such an super inspiring and creative place for both adults and children of all ages, yet it is such a calm and cozy environment at the same time.

Erin is fantastic with kids - she is so incredibly accepting and patient, and never condescending to children, which is something I really admire and appreciate. She is the type of woman who can bring out the best in little ones (and big ones!), and this I love about her and her very special little shop.

Last month we were happy to have Adelaide's birthday party at Collage Collage. I told Erin that we were having a little bird birthday, and she was awesome to tailor-make up a party especially for Adelaide's ideas. She planned a story time for the children with several bird story books, and to follow there was a discussion all about birds, and then some bird-type art projects (which Erin created especially for 3 and 4 year olds). First the children made their own little nests using all sorts of scraps of yarn, string, and twine. And then to follow, Erin had the children make their own birds by colouring, gluing collages, and glittering paper birds-on-sticks, which she had prepared in advance. So perfect and so cute!

The three birds that Adelaide made that day proudly hang in our kitchen now. Every so often I will catch Adelaide chattering away and realise that she is making up stories and pretending with the little birds, all from her seat at our kitchen table. We will often then take the birds down and talk about them and play with them together. She is so proud of them, and I think that they are one of Adelaide's most special creations which I will have to keep for her forever.

Collage Collage

621 Kingsway (at 15th + Fraser St.)
Vancouver, BC
604.569.1929
info@collagecollage.ca

www.collagecollage.ca
www.collagecollageshop.blogspot.com

29 comments:

MANDY said...

Gorgeous.

Design Wanna-be said...

What a fun place!

Christine--RHP said...

what an awesome space to create!! (it does kinda have a similar feel to your house, from what I can tell in the pix)

Eren said...

That must have been the best bird birthday ever!!! Makes me want to be 3 again.

shawna said...

Wow- I wish we had a place like this, my kids would LOVE it. I love your blog. I have been a follower for a long time. Your work is great!
~Shawna

Rose said...

What a fantastic place! I agree, most children's destinations think that they have to be over-the-top entertaining. What a gem, wish there was a place like that in my town!

Ransacked Goods said...

Just brilliant! Thanks for the post. I'll have to make a note to stop on in next time I'm up that way. And I love the birds on a stick!!

Catherine Hansen Peart said...

oh, that is beautiful. All of it! The shop, the party, the birds. I wish I had a place like that near me too. Those indoor play centres give me a headache.

Megan said...

Wow! You guys are so lucky to have such a cool place to go! I love the concept and am surprised there aren't more places like this around. I guess it's another reason we'd like to make the cross-country and continent trip to Vancouver for a vacation.

Alana said...

what a wonderful place! i wish we had something like this around here.

Letterpress said...

You're quite perceptive to recognize that sometimes our children are overstimulated by everything--just like we are--and that we have to help them find their way clear.

I wish some of my grandchildren could "de-stim" once in a while. I have bookshelves full of books and all they ask for is video games (I don't have any). I love the idea of collaging. Perfect.

sonj said...

wow so awesome! i'll have to stop by this week and check it out :) just a short drive from where i live, yay! :)

Leanda said...

Wish there was a place like that here! Looks fantastic!

lyckoskatt said...

oh that sounds amazing. wish we had something like that in our neck of the woods.

Danielle said...

What a fabulous home away from home! I feel like making a collage now :)

Terra said...

I'm sorry, I can't focus on anything but Adelaide's beautiful shirt! Did you make it? Love, love, love!

shelese said...

So fun! Next time I am in Vancouver I will have to check it out! Thanks!

ylva said...

hi :). i normally don't comment, but i've been following you for a long time and since my little girl turned three the other day i downloaded your very pretty cupcake flags, made about 50 of them (both flags and muffins that is) and sent them of to her pre-school the day of her birthday. i just had to tell you that all the kids, teachers and caretakers absolutely loved them :)! just thought you'd be happy to know.

and oh, since i'm delurking just for today i'm taking the opportunity to say, the address files that you make are absolutely gorgeous!

molly said...

I think I'm in love....

kneesandpaws said...

What a wonderful place to enjoy creating and sharing in community. I agree that most kid spaces have too much stimulation. This idea needs to spread!

416to905 said...

that looks like such a sweet place. addie indeed looks very proud of her creations. she is too cute!

collagecollage said...

thanks so much for the lovely post! it's a delight to see your readers responding so well to the space. it totally makes my day.

the best compliment of all is how at home you+your family feel here. that's the point of the space. To come in together, to make something great, to be inspired by the space - but most of all, by one another.

Nessa said...

What a beautiful post! Looks like a lovely place, a true place of peace and art for the children.

Mandi C said...

I used to go to ceramics places like that when I was little; how fun for your sweet girl!

Marina said...

Sounds like the most amazing space for creativity! LIke Terra, I am also fixated on your little girl's lovely shirt and am wondering whether you made it or if not where it is from....?

l o v e l y d e s i g n said...

Hello, thank you for visiting and for leaving your comments everyone!

Terra and Marina, Unfortunately I am not a skilled sewer and even though I'd love to make Adelaide (and myself) clothing I know better. Adelaide's shirt I bought on a clearance rack and it is made by tea collection, a children's clothing company that I admire because I find the clothes well made and the fabric to be of good quality. Adelaide has a few items from this company which she has worn for years!

Marina said...

Thanks for letting us know Sharilyn. I bought a sweater for my daughter from the tea collection a few years ago - their designs, I agree, are lovely and of a great quality....

by Lottie said...

amazing

Jarred said...

This won't actually have effect, I suppose like this.
Bracebridge real estate | Johnston real estate | Lyme disease pictures