Sunday, July 26, 2009

evening strolls

Ever since Adelaide was very little we've taken her out in the evenings for a bedtime stroll - this really seems to help her fall asleep and is always a nice way to wind down the day together. And we always find lots of treasures along the way - perhaps some pretty pebbles, or pinecones, or yummy berries to eat.

The other evening Adelaide found herself a little snail and she fell in love. She picked him up carefully, examined him from every angle, and then, inspiration struck! She ran to her buggy, carefully tucked the tiny snail inside, and strapped and buckled him in. And then she attempted to push him all the way home. Her baby.

I have been attempting to get more exercise. I am struggling with this as every spare moment I have, I work. So on our evening walks - and any other time - I try to move even a little bit more. I run and run after Adelaide, lift and spin her all around and around, and try to show her all about jumping jacks. Over and over again...

I realise that my small efforts aren't doing incredibly much for my overall health, and I must look like such a fool! However, I have discovered a really great benefit to these energetic bursts - I have been sleeping so much better!

finding friends by you.

16 comments:

Jo said...

i can relate... i have been traipsing up and down our back staircase while my children play in the yard, in the hope of improving my health somewhat. I am sure that you don't look a fool, in fact those people who see you playing like that with your daughter are probably thinking what an awesome mum you are, and what a lucky daughter you have. keep it up i say :D

Jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fancy Elastic said...

What a lovely habit. I like to go for a stroll as a family early evening sometimes too... we don't do it often enough. I work from home and i sometimes realise I have not been out all day. It helps for that too!
Your daughter is a real cutie.

shanon said...

I'm glad you are getting good sleep. It's so important. And every little burst of movement helps. It really does.

Christine--RHP said...

Yes! Keep moving any way you can--those of us artists really have to make an effort to be active- and our kids are the easiest way to get moving. (and congrats on better sleep--that's a bonus for any mom!)

cottagesweet said...

Your little girl is soooo CUTE! and those little bursts of activity with her probably help you more than you know.

Amber said...

so lovely :)

Miss A said...

just found your blog via Julia and I love it!

Kate said...

Adelaide is adorable!

lotta said...

I can picture the snail tucked into the buggy.. so sweet. Keep up with the runningand the jumping and the spinning. Seems like a fun way to loose some calories.

Vintage Modern Girl said...

that girl and her snail. so, so precious!

plastikxp said...

I love yr blog!!

paula said...

I do love a good stroll with the little ones.

Ema said...

She is just the cutest EVER!

Eren said...

Im in the same boat as far as exercise. I've been trying to walk while the boys ride their bikes, but after so many stops and starts and picking the little one up after he crashes, Im wondering if it is all worth it.

I'll hang in there if you do friend.

Lor said...

What a lovely way to unwind at the end of a day - I too love a family stroll, just don't seem to do it often enough!