Thursday, April 02, 2009

beautiful boxes

Isn't he lovely? Jack seems to be as proud as these boxes as I am!

Yesterday I approved the final samples... I am so excited to have my my address files available again. And relieved! And very proud to have done it with integrity - it took me forever to find the right craftspeople to work with on these - each and every beautiful one of them had been crafted by hand and produced by a local family business that promotes sustainable forestry practices and primarily uses residual wood from small, local mills. And finished with an environmentally-safe, non-toxic, water-based finish to keep them beautiful for years and years to come. I still have and use mine everyday: numbered 000081 and dated April 25, 2002.

samples all go by you.

My craftspeople have also been putting any and all of the solid wood waste from these address files in a bin labelled “Free Wood” outside of their workshop. At the end of each work day they see a line up of people sorting through the bin. They have found that any waste is especially popular with local teachers who use the small pieces of wood for classroom projects. And their sawdust waste is sent to a nearby co-generation plant where the waste wood is used to generate heat and power. Every single scrap from these address files is put to use - from the woodworking to the paper scraps which I repurpose into other products or even use as cushioning for packaging.

It took so long to get this all sorted out, and it would have been so much easier for me to scrap my best intentions and simply get my boxes made for me overseas in China. (My partner and love Charles has dozens of relatives there willing to help me out with that!) But these address files really feel like another one of my babies. I wouldn't of felt good not knowing if they were created fairly or sustainably. It is important to me to always make a products that I can always be proud of and love.

And, it is my sincere hope that you may, too.

To all of my customers, past, present, future, and waitlisted: Thank-you so much for your support of my work - it means the world to me! And for your understanding and patience in the long wait for my products. Thank-you always for supporting the original creations as made by their original designers. It is my hope that I can continue to make the things I love to make, old and new, for a long time to come. But this would never be possible without you. Thank-you.

stacks by you.

oh! and if you are interested in ordering an address file from me, please send me a note to sharilyn at lovelydesign . com and I will add you to my waitlist. I have already contacted everyone that I have on my waitlist, but if I somehow missed you and you did not hear from me please let me know!

32 comments:

Samantha S said...

They look beautiful. I am so happy for you, your determination paid off. I can take much inspiration from you.

cindy : quaint said...

i really admire your integrity, sharilyn. i treasure my address file and now more people will be able to enjoy one, too. 'good things come to those who wait' as they say. it's totally worth it!

kickpleat said...

So glad you found craftspeople who met all your goals! They sound amazing.

Jenny said...

Now I'm going to love my file all the more, knowing that nothing was wasted in the process. Wonderful post!

my Trampoline said...

you are truly the artisan i aspire to be

thanks sharilyn

Kate@ Kids and Cocktails said...

Oh I can't wait. I've never been so happy to be on a waiting list! Yay!!

Life at the White House said...

i absolutely cannot wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is it strange to be so giddy over a rolodex of sorts? ;-)

Elizabeth said...

So beautiful -- I have enjoyed looking at pictures of these for years now in various magazines and on the internet. I wonder: would you consider making an address book? I love the idea of a file, but I don't have a dedicated office space and I travel for work tend to want my contact information portable. Best to you!

stephanie said...

That is simply the best thing I have heard today. Thank you for being so responsible. Your work is surely something to be proud of.

Abbie said...

Yay! I am so excited! How great that you found an eco-friendly company to work with, too.

pebbledash said...

Made with integrity - I respect and admire that. I love my address file, and anyone who's licky enough to purchase one will treasure it, I'm sure.
Happy days!
xox

pebbledash said...

oops...I meant 'lucky'!

rifferaff said...

i love everything about this post. yay for the return of the address files and yay for doing it on your terms and no one else's!

Lovely Paper said...

they are already sold out!?

katie said...

They are gorgeous Sharilyn.

I was already in love with your design, but the fact that they will continue to be made by hand locally just makes me adore them that much more.

I cannot WAIT to receive mine!!!

Gül said...

I think your Address Files should be a case for WWF's Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)efforts. That shows how we, all individuals can actually do something. Would you ever consider to contact WWF Canada, maybe? WWF members would like to read about you and your design.

Always adoring your works and sharings,

*Gül

Breezy Babies said...

I am so happy for you that you were able to find someone to make them and I am happy for you that you now have the time to do the crafting and making you love along side your family!

Orjana said...

Wow, I can't believe the amount of thought that went into these, they must be really good quality! And what a gorgeous cat, he looks so strokable!

thereddeer said...

They look lovely.

Kirby3131 said...

I was reading my google reader blog list and and clicked through on a link to another blog, who talked about the blogs they loved and they linked to you!

I had your blog bookmarked in a computer that died off a year ago or so and have been wondering if you had come back - I'm so glad you have. I have been wanting the rolodex for years - but didn't act soon enough the first time I saw it. I'll put you in my blog reader now, so I won't ever lose you again.

Thanks for coming back and for having friends that blog about you!

monica said...

good for you!

If only more people were more responsible... they're beautiful objects and all the more beautiful for the way they've been produced.

Good luck with them.

(could you let me know how much you're selling them for?)

missy said...

they look beautiful...so excited!!

Marina said...

wow! from someone who has been trying to purchase one of your address files for the last three years from far away (I still have your beautiful paper index cards and nowhere to file them :)), this is more than great news. But it's not just the "what", it's the "how". Whoever of us is going to get his or her one, it's going to be special, nature-friendly, all around hand-made, and that in itself is great inspiration. It may take longer than average, but it's worth it. Thank you Sharilyn

Penelope Toop said...

Hi Sharilyn!

Just a small post say to that you are such a lovely person & wonderfully mannered 

I wanted to let you know that I’ve recently {as in last week} became a blogger {penelopetoop.blogspot.com}, & I highlighted two of your products on my page {30+ cards and address files}!!!

Not that you need any more promoting but I thought that it would be nice for tons of enthused people to see your creative work!!!

Have a wonderful day & hopefully we’ll “see” each other in the blogging world!

Princess

Jodie from the team at cherrymenlove.com said...

Lovely boxes and great news that they promote sustainable forestry. We need more companies like theirs in our world...
Jodie
x

Little*s said...

Love it ! Simple & so beautiful. And Made with integrity & dignity : so wonderful ! Congrats !!!

lisa said...

He is lovely! What a beautiful cat.

Melissa said...

sharilyn,
what wonderful news! they look so nicely made, and i love that they're something that you are truly proud of from start to finish. wishing you all the very best.
xx

Lindsey said...

There is just something so lovely about those varying shades in the wood. Beautiful. And nothing beats good old hand written names and addresses. I love them. Congrats.

Kate@ Kids and Cocktails said...

I am so excited about being able to have one of these wonderful little creations. I hope I'm still on the list!

lazywaves said...

I just can't wait to receive mine!! :-) So beautiful and I am really enjoying your blog .. Kate

Life at the White House said...

I am just ridiculous w/ anticipation of my lovely black walnut address file being ready...........so I came here to take another look at them and drool and realized that 800 other people are anticipating as well.

Is it just awesome for you to know that your product is so dang popular and makes people so happy!? I think that's so neat!