Friday, March 20, 2009

the cat mat

room for two by you.

A couple of weeks ago, I discovered an old cat mat in the back of our closet. I was about to throw it out, but on a whim I decided to try and clean it up to see if my boys would like it. And do they ever! Elliot barely ever moves for lying on his cat mat. I had to loosen his collar the other day for the growing-ness of him. Jack, usually mobile, is there mostly, too. Even Adelaide is constantly trying to scramble up on the desk to sit in it.

The past many nights, I haven't been sleeping well - I keep waking up all in the night and just feeling a little off. I kept trying different things such as going to bed a bit earlier and washing up our bedsheets all sweet and lovely with method baby rice milk and mallow laundry stuff. 

But I still couldn't quite figure out what was bugging my sleep, until the other night. Frustrated with again waking up, I stumbled in the dark down the hall to my studio where I discovered the cat mat and my two blissfully sleeping boys, all curled up cozily together and snoring away.

I have finally realised what my sleep has been missing - Elliot! Almost every single night since I brought him home from the SPCA years ago now, he has slept dutifully and wonderfully beside me by my feet. He's a big guy, the type who won't move for anything, and I've gotten so used to the weight of him that now sleep just isn't right without him.

Now I've been trying everything to get him back in my bed, carrying him back and fourth several times each evening. But he just keeps on going back to that darn cat mat. It is kind of old and ratty, so I'm hesitant to just put it in bed along with us. The only thing I haven't done is hide it away again - it feels kind of mean and a little bit like blackmail! 

that cat mat by you.

24 comments:

Holly said...

can you move the mat to your bed?
i love my kitty sleeping at my feet, but she only stays until i fall asleep i think, because in the morning she is gone!

shanon said...

I love the connection you have to your kitty. I hope you both can get some rest. =)

sew nancy said...

yes i agree with holly maybe try to move the bed to your bed just at night
you need your sleep!
on another note my baby was an excellent sleeper until recently. so i relate to the tired thing!
your cats are so cute and i love the photos

Suzanne said...

that is so sweet/cute!
i recently bought a little pillow/bed/mat thingy for my cat, just to try it out, thinking she wouldn't like it... well was i ever wrong. she never leaves the thing either! no matter where i put it, she sits in it. so if i want to snuggle with her on the couch, i have to put her pillow on the couch.
i say put the cat mat on the foot of the bed, at night time, then during the day you could put it back. then you all get the best of both :)

Tiffany said...

Soooo sweet. I would hate if our dogs wouldn't sleep in our bed. Try moving the mat to your bedroom.
Your daughter is precious!

nicole said...

cats will be cats!

Zonnah said...

The things we get used to. You got to love cats :P

thereddeer said...

Awww that is sweet that you miss your pussy cat :). I hope you can sort out the dilemma.

adalex72 said...

I don't have any advice to offer, but can I add that your kittys are so gorgeous, I look at them and want to snuggle up with them. I miss cats so much. My husband has allergies so we can't have a cat. Or any pets at that.

monica said...

how sweet!

ARCO CHAMBER ORCHESTRA said...

Cats that actually sleep in their cat-beds?! I didn't know such cats existed!

JollyCaravan said...

Perhaps wash the cat mat in the baby rice milk and mallow so it's all sweet and lovely, then move it to the bed?!!

Rachel said...

Maybe just hide it at night and let them have it during the day?
Such a lovely story.

amy said...

this post has me written all over it. i know how you are feeling. i spend each night with my girls, cleo at my feet and boo boo next to us on the floor in her bed. i don't have children yet, but i imagine when i do i will still make sure both my girls are settled! i just made cleo a cat mat out of my favorite old fleece. she loves it you can see it here:
http://ifyoulisten.typepad.com/ifyoulisten/2009/03/cleos-new-cat-bed.html

i hope you get better sleep this week!

Making of a Montessori Mum said...

Hey there! What an absolutely gorgeous blog! So glad I have found it. I'm also so happy to pass onto you the Kreativ Blogger Award. You can find out more info at my blog (http://montessorimum.blogspot.com/).

I will def be back for more lovelydesign! (:

Barb Fisher said...

That last pic of your two beautiful cats all squished together on the mat is too cute!

joanna said...

so sweet the pictures!!

Annie Pazoo said...

Oh I know just what you mean! One of our cats usually sleeps on me (as in, on top of my arm or hip when I'm laying on my side). When she's not there it's strangely difficult to fall asleep. (I think I'm becoming one of those cat ladies :-0 )

ALL ABOUT CHOCOLATE CREATIVE... said...

The picture of your daughter and the cat is so cute!!! I know what u mean about him sleeping in your bed, I have got my missi, he love sleeping with me and when go to bed he comes straight after me, I would miss him if he didn't. u get used to them, they are mazing creatures!! I hope he decides to go back to his old ways...

Melissa said...

She is the most ridiculously cute little girl! My little nephew has just turned a year. We should set them up for the future.

tiffanyandink said...

My doggy has the same mat/bed (only bigger)! He loves his too. My mom bought it for him and the instant he saw it he knew it was his and he was so excited because her doggy has one and he always likes to steal it from her when we go to visit and take him with us.

I'm pretty sure I can find a small one for you here in the Seattle area. If you want to replace it with a new one and can't find it locally let me know and I can help you get your hands on one.

Make it Easy said...

so cute!!

Orjana said...

There is nothing as stubborn as a cat! What a lovely photo off the two of them together though!

disa said...

徵信社,徵信,徵信,徵信社,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,徵信,抓姦,徵信,徵信社,外遇,抓姦,尋人,徵信社,徵信,抓 姦,抓姦,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,徵信,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,外遇,抓姦,尋人,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,徵信社,抓姦,徵信,外遇,徵信社,尋人,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信,徵信社,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,情趣用品,情趣,抓姦