Monday, March 30, 2009

the happiest chair

Last week I found myself longing for another chair to use while making stuff, and wondering away on where to find a chair. Then, over the weekend on a whim we stopped at a Value Village and we found this old Danish chair for $9.99. It was a little banged up with a hideous 80's pastel faux velvet upholstered cushion, but just perfect for us.

So we brought it home and I cleaned, removed the seat, and wiped down the teak wood using some orange oil furniture polish. I knew exactly which fabric I wanted to re-cover the seat with: some wonderful lollipop flower fabric I picked up from Leslie's A Little Goodness shop some time ago now. It was so quick and easy to do - I just cut a piece with about 2" extra all around the shape of the seat, eyeballing the print to sit nicely. Then I pulled it real tight and stapled it all around on the underside using a staple gun which I borrowed from my Dad.

All cleaned up, our new little chair is feels so very happy to me - I just love looking and sitting on it. Adelaide calls it the POP CHAIR and she really loves it too - perhaps a little too much - for I keep catching her licking the seat cushion!

happiest chair by you.

19 comments:

Rachel said...

You're inspiring me! I rescued two sad little Danish modern chairs from the dumpster and they look very similar to yours. They need some TLC and a recovering, but so far they've languished in my to do list. I'm going to try to get them done soon, because yours is so sweet!

kangaroo said...

darling!

katie said...

Gorgeous. It is indeed a very happy chair.

I am heading to Value Village this weekend to pick up some kids books...now I will have to stop to look at the furniture as well!

nar said...

that's hilarious. does the orange "pops" taste better than the "yellow" ones? hehe

Samantha S said...

I really love the fabric, I wish my chairs looked so good.

jayjayne said...

Great inspiration to go out and make something new again! I've done this with a set of old restaurant chairs - it's easy, but effective!

Anonymous said...

nice chair!

I also love those brilliant drawers in the background...where are they from?

Chandra said...

Don't you just love stocking your shelves with fabric scraps to use for a mysterious project later? I love the chair...now off to do my own!

leslie said...

the chair looks perfect. i think i am going to have to go chair hunting. pronto.

V said...

Absolutely lovely! Makes me want to take a look around a nearby Value Village to see what treasures I might be able to find.

L O V E L Y D E S I G N said...

Hi Everyone, Thank you for visiting me and for dropping a note: it is so great to have meet and make so many new friends in this place!

Anonymous: I have looked for YEARS for a drawered cabinet and with zero results and so I finally got creative and simply put a bunch of Ikea cabinets put together - a solution I am actually thrilled with. The drawers pull out, so i can sort by project or supply and just pull out the entire drawer and take it with me to work. And I can add more cabinets as needed, stacking them up or placing more side by side. I'm sorry I have to dig up the name of them a little later on, but they're great!

TrippleJN said...

Licking the fabric?! So, so funny! That would make a very sweet yet sassy photograph!

About the red chair...how about visiting Annie Leibovitz's books and her philosophies, if that's not too forward? I suggest it, because she's really helped me to accept the moment lately, and then look back on it's value.

Melissa of {craftgasm} said...

How cute! I am moving in with the boy in a few weeks, and while we have serviceable chairs for now, I will be keeping an eye out for one I can reupholster!

Melissa of {craftgasm} said...

Are these the Helmer drawers? (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00107874) I am going to get a craft room in the new place...

L O V E L Y D E S I G N said...

Hi Melissa - YES! thank you for that, they are HELMER drawers. I just leave off the wheels and can stack as many as i'd ever want. I love them.

and congrats to your new craft room - so exciting!!!!

xo
sharilyn

.girl ferment. said...

looks great.
so cute she is trying to eat the lollipops.

Jan said...

Yes, yes, yes. Love the chair! Love the fabric!

Donatella said...

I love your chair! - it's fantastic when you find a nice one which needs a new seat cover! Great choice of fabric ;-)

MUS said...

so nice!