Monday, January 05, 2009

bug drawing

The other evening it got real quiet in the house, and when I went to take a look, Adelaide was busy picking the wrappers off all of her crayons. She had climbed up on the table and selected and carried down a container full of crayons. She then re-located them to a cozy spot on her sheepskin rug, and proceeded diligently with her work of removing the wrapper off of every single one. Once she had finished, she then collected up all of the little bits of wrappers and placed them all in a jar. A very important task indeed!
adelaide's art tray by you.
adelaide's art tray by you.
I found a big orange round tray at a thrift shop once, and I use it now to keep a big assortment of art supplies displayed nicely. This makes me happy to see, and every once in a while Adelaide will spot them and insist on doing some mark-making. I keep the crayons and pencils simply stored in small repurposed jars, baskets, and paper cups. This makes them easier for Addie to carry around, see, reach for, and select, and also to clean up when the time comes! I also collect any broken crayon bits up and stash them away in a jar in our pantry to make new crayons with.

A little game we've made up together is to make "bugs". One at a time, I will draw circles all over a page, in varying sizes, and ask her to help me fill them in. She really enjoys marking up my circles, and this little game is great for when we're waiting for our meals in a restaurant or even for the bus. I'm also certain it is helping her learn how to write and focus, and her hand-eye co-ordination as well. But really I just also love the results, beautiful little bugs that we've made together!

another collaboration by you.making marks (together) by you.

17 comments:

Geninne said...

Just looking at that tray makes me want to stop everything and start drawing! Great inspiration for lil Addie. I did the same with my boys growing up, they always had lots of crayons, pencils, paint on hand :)
Beautiful bug collaboration!

Deb said...

Looking at that tray almost inspires me to clean out the craft cupboard in the living room so that my six year old can find all his pens and such like!

Holly said...

they look like beautiful jellyfish! :) i had a little sheepskin rug like that in my room when i was about her age. my nap spot!

cloth.paper.string said...

brilliant! i'm off to find a tray.

amy said...

at my preschool we use empty, clean eggshells with just the top off and fill them with different layers of melted crayons! it makes a beautiful rainbow egg crayon and is especially fun to peel the eggshell off to see the beautiful stripes!

Melissa of {craftgasm} said...

I used to pour microwave-melted crayons into cookie cutters as presents for the kids I baby-sat in high school. There'd be all sorts of fun colors mixed together that way, and they liked wearing down the heads and arms of their gingerbread crayons.

joanna said...

she must be as crafty as you!! ^^

adalex72 said...

I love that idea of the bugs. I have been trying to get my 3 yr old to take more of an interest in drawing/colouring. I tried this out with him, and he did it for a short time. Simple but effective idea. Thank you.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the great inspiration! I just found your blog, courtesy of the mention in Country Living magazine. Hooray for you!!

By the way, I also have an Adelaide!! My sweet Addy is 4. It's such a dear, beautiful, unique name (in my humble opinion).

Thanks again! I'll be back soon!

Sarah

Marina said...

I'm with Holly: they do look like beautiful little jellyfish! I can't wait until my son is old enough to enjoy crayons.

Ransacked Goods said...

Oh, I'm jealous. My 20-month-old would still rather eat the crayons.

Laura. said...

those bugs really are lovely. it's so nice that you have a small collaborator!

Lovely Little Lovelies said...

this is genius. my little one and i tested this out today and it kept her entertained for quite some time. fabulous idea!

amy said...

The peeling off of the crayon wrapper is something they like to do for some reason. It's like they have to unwrap them like they are candy or something. Love your art tray idea. We have something similar on a side table near the dining table for her to use but it's not on a tray...yet...:)

Agnes Sim said...

ur daughter is so cute... ;-)

DISSOLVE YOUR HONG KONG COMPANY said...

I am very happy to be here because this is a very good site that provides lots of information.

house cleaning services sacramento ca said...

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us, was a great post.