Thursday, July 31, 2008

rainy day

It is an ugly grey and wet day today. It feels like October and we are hiding indoors. Here are a few photographs that I've taken around the house today, while Addie sleeps.

dish wall by you.

I put up these Ikea wall shelves in our kitchen and use them to store our dishes and plates. I have a thing for white dishes and always keep a look out for them on sale. I just realised that none of these things on the shelves match, but I got them all at a discount! The plates were less than $2 each, and the ceramic mugs for .49 cents each. 

These shelves help our a lot with our kitchen, which is large by Vancouver standards (You can eat in it!!!) but still pretty small storage-wise. Our kitchen - like our entire house when we bought it - was a horrible builder's beige (70's pantyhose beige) so I painted it a warm white (Grand Teton by Benjamin Moore) to brighten it up. It looks amazingly better and much more bright and refreshing. I also added a pantry, ceiling dish rack, wall coat hooks, and a bulletin board area to help keep everything sorted out. I will take some more photos one day when everything else is clean and organised!

yellow + orange by you.

I've been making a quilt in yellow and orange and grey and turquoise. I've been attracted to triangle quilts for some time now so finally decide to make one myself. I found some great little purl bee right angle triangle tutorial to help out. My triangles are made from 4" squares, and I plan on putting a (2" or so?) muslin border between each square rather then sewing them together directly side by side. I adore quilts with a lot white space. (Perhaps, a Robertson Family Quilt is next? I love it!)

found paper treasures by you.

And, here are some paper treasures that I found on our recent trip to Port Townsend. Vintage Journals and ledgers and glassine sheets and other lovelies. Of course I couldn't resist and bring these home with me. Perhaps they will end up in someone's pocket book someday. I especially love the vintage "mother" wrapping paper, this one I will keep always for me...

... p.s. this is what happens when I try to blog and do not give my child direct attention for just a few minutes. And the reason why I don't have more photos of my kitchen storage solutions to show you at the moment!!!

while distracted by you.

14 comments:

Julie said...

and look at the look she's giving you! like you should've known this would happen :)

i'm loving your treasures from you trip! i'd love to see the pages of that journal.

hope you're all doing well :)

Kristine said...

The shelves look like something straight out of an interiors magazine. I love the all white and glass items you are displaying. Just beautiful.

dänika said...

I too love the all-white theme! I've been slowly collecting pieces for my own kitchen, one piece here, two there, most not matching; I find wonderful older pieces at Goodwill and other thrift shops for usually under a dollar per piece! (lots of cool retro/vintage pieces that I can't resist, too, some fun atomic-age patterns just make me melt. I'm running out of storage, so I'm making myself wait a long time between trips to the thrift shops. :P )

also, your daughter is absolutely adorable!

typefiend said...

Awww, perhaps she was just going to organize everything for you!

Kelly said...

Gorgeous, all of it. I agree with Kristine-the shelves look straight out of a catalog, and I would never have guess that the pieces don't match. You can't tell from the photo. The look like art on those shelves.

I haven't quilted in ages and ages, and seeing your lovely triangles has me itching to sew!

sharilyn said...

Julie: I know!!! i love that look, too. because it's entirely my fault that she pulled everything out. how are i do anything without her!!!

dänika: I adore retro dishware too! vintage mikasa is my favourite. unfortunately, i dont find too many that often - i dont know what my problem is! i can find any scrap paper anywhere, but dishes are a rare find for me!

typefiend, well, she always is trying... :)

kelly: thankyou! sew! sew! and show me, too!

Laura. said...

be encouraged: i used to do exactly the same thing with my own mother's tupperware cupboard at about that age. later, i became her self-appointed organizer, putting everything in neat stacks after pulling it all out!
also, as always, your projects, finds, and daughter are a delight to read about.

sharilyn said...

JUlie: the pages of the journal are old ledger pages - you'd love it!

Bee Square Fabrics said...

You just take the most beautiful pictures. I've sat here for the last 20 minutes looking at each and every one. I am in love and inspired.

Thank you!

meg said...

the shelves are lovely! I hope to have some just like it someday--someday when we demolish our small, dark kitchen and build a beautiful white one.

Joslyn said...

the shelves are just gorgeous. i am completely, completely smitten with white dishes!

Opal said...

http://cellphones.blog.sohu.com
http://dressweddingstores.wordpress.com
http://wedding-dress-online.blog.anous.fr
http://wedding.blogge.rs
http://cellphones.blog131.fc2.com

Alma said...

I really like how the white lack shelves look, but I was just wondering if you got the high gloss white, or the regular?

l o v e l y d e s i g n said...

hi Alma - Regular matte white shelves!